Swansea Massage Clinic

Swansea Massage Clinic
Evidence based Registered Massage Therapy

Sunday 8 January 2012

Doi Suthep

To get to the zoo I took a songthaew which is basically a modified pickup truck with two row of seats in the back and a roof overhead. It's the cheapest way to get around Chiang Mai and pretty easy once you figure it out. The driver was a little hesitant to take me all the way out to the zoo but we negotiated a fare (40 baht about $1) and he offered me the passenger seat next to him. We chatted quite a bit on the way there (it was a long ride) and he suggested that I visit Doi Suthep while I was out that way and told me about the buses that go up and down the mountain for 40 baht each way. I wasn't sure I would have time but when I finished at the zoo I decided to go for it - I was already out this way anyways.  The ride up the mountain was breathtaking and I was surprised at the number of bicyclists that were heaving their way up - you'd have to be pretty hardcore to do this hill! Even negotiating the winding road looks dangerous, I don't know how they do it. Once at the top, its a long and steep set of stairs to the temple. And oh my what a temple! It's built on a site of mythical importance - according to legend the King sent a white elephant into the jungle mounted with a magical relic. It trumpeted 3 times before it died and, taking this as a sign, the King Nu Naone ordered the construction of a temple on the site. The original copper plated chedi (above) is the most holy area of the temple grounds and many Thais make the pilgrimage here - I witnessed many circling the chedi with a lotus flower, incense and prayer card as well as making donations and paying their respects. The energy here is palpable. Its a quiet and powerful ancient beauty.

walking prayers around the chedi
The original chedi 
This tree took my breath away... 
Sunset at the temple

There were bells everywhere

Overlooking Chiang Mai at Sunset

And back down the mountain I go for dinner and a restful sleep. 

No comments:

Post a Comment