Swansea Massage Clinic

Swansea Massage Clinic
Evidence based Registered Massage Therapy

Wednesday 8 February 2012

Massaging Special Children

Today was such a treat! We went to visit the Special People Foundation to massage children at the centre. They were a joy to be around, all of us were grinning ear to ear all day.

http://www.spfthailand.org/

The Special People Foundation (SPF) was created by the two founders of the school I am attending (TMC) to help disabled children and their families who otherwise do not have the money or resources to help themselves. A large chunk of my tuition as well as half of the proceeds of any books or supplies sold at the school go to this foundation. The staff are also a big help in keeping this running and visit on a frequent basis.

We were set up in the main entrance hall and given a lesson on children with special needs so we would know what to expect. Brief descriptions on several different disabilities were given including ADHD, cerebral palsy, autism, mental retardation and muskuloskeletal conditions. Then we got real life demonstrations of how these conditions affect movement, posture as well as muscle and joint tension. 5 kids came out and walked back and forth with the teacher so we could really see the difference. It was a great learning experience. 

They paired us up with the children and one sweet little girl ran right into my arms. She wasn't the child I was supposed to treat but the teacher couldn't get her away from me! So adorable! She plopped herself right into my lap and we started doodling. She was 7 years old, with braided pigtails, a big smile and was born with mental retardation, but I could hardly tell. I think we got more drawing done then massaging! She kept insisting I draw for her, she got a big kick out of it. We couldn't communicate in the same language but we could on paper, through images. 

I managed to get in some massaging while she drew all by herself. I quickly realized she wasn't too interested in sitting still for a treatment and got in massage where I could. By the end of it I had managed to treat her back, legs and feet and did a bit of stretching. Not bad I think! The rest of it was just a whole lot of fun. I don't have a picture of the two of us now, the teacher took one and I will get it friday along with a whole bunch more to share with you. We aren't supposed to take photos during class. They take them for us and give us a cd at the end of the course.

I did manage to sneak a couple of pics in though during lunch time! All of the kids were listening to music and dancing up a storm, we had a great time dancing with them and joining in on the fun. There was an adorable 6 six year old boy with down syndrome that came in the afternoon who spent the entire time hugging anyone and everyone. He went up and down a row of people hugging each one and then turned right around and hugged them all again! Can I take him home in my pocket??

They were really inspiring, so much so that I'm thinking of finding a similar organization in Toronto and volunteering. Massage can make such a difference in these kids lives, from relieving postural and muscular problems, helping to increase the quality and duration of their sleep and even help to soothe their mental and emotional stress. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to not be able to communicate properly how you feel or be able to physically do the things you want to. Although watching these kids dance like nobody was watching, it hardly seems to hold them back at all. THEY were the teachers today and we all learned more then we expected to, especially in matters of the heart.


Me and Professor Noy (Physiotherapist & Massage Therapist)



No comments:

Post a Comment